[omniORB] Latencies - Oneway vs. Roundtrip

Jim Redman jim@ergotech.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 05:44:01 -0600

Thanks to the group and Helge for the proposed solution.

At 06:44 PM 4/13/99 +0100, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:
>I think it has been pointed out already that we do not set TCP_NODELAY by
>default. You probably want to play with setsockopt to see if the behaviour
>changes.
>
>From my admittedly narrow point of view I can't think of a use for oneway
where latency is not important.  If I was simply trying to move a large
amount of data and didn't care about latency I probably wouldn't send out a
bunch of small messages.  I use oneway because I need each tiny piece of
data to arrive as soon as possible after it is generated.  If this is the
normal reason then I could make a case for TCP_NODELAY being the default.

Jim