[omniORB] OMNIIDL2: error in look up of symbol: TypeCode

Brian Matthews bmatthews@dna.ie
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:21:59 GMT

>I was trying to compile the standard IDL definition file published by
>the OpenGIS Consortium as a part of its CORBA specification
><http://www.opengis.org/public/sfr1/sfcorba_rev_1_0.pdf> and got the
>following error:
>
>> omniidl2 -a ogis.idl
>OMNIIDL2.EXE: "ogis.idl", line 26: error in look up of symbol: TypeCode
>OMNIIDL2.EXE: ogis.idl: found 1 error
>
>The relevant place in the IDL source is:
>
>struct PropertyDef {
>    Istring name;
>    TypeCode type;=09<<< line 26
>    boolean required;
>};
>
>The error was gone and the compilation succeeded after I added the
>"CORBA::" modifier to "TypeCode":
>
>struct PropertyDef {
>    Istring name;
>    CORBA::TypeCode type;=09<<<
>    boolean required;
>};
>
>I do not think that this is the correct behaviour of omniidl2. Would
>somebody comment on it?

OmniORB is absolutely correct here. The normal IDL scoping rules apply to all
identifiers defined within the CORBA module. However, I have come across some
ORB implementations that will not work if TypeCode is fully scoped. I cannot
recall whether that was with Orbix or VisiBroker or the version/patch in question.

I think you should contact the OpenGIS Consortium.

Brian Matthews (bmatthews@dna.ie)