[omniORB] remote object invocation

Ramesh V. Shaastri Ramesh_Shaastri@hp.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:02:32 -0500

--------------C650E0B162FD42251BC248A6

Omni Gurus:

I had posted an email requesting for info for accessing a server object
(or implementation object?) on host A from a client on host B. This is
pretty straightforward - if you follow the instructions in the readme
files, that is.

In the client host, in my case a Win32 box, you need to create two
registry keys under the HKEY_LOCAL\MACHINE\Software\ORL... path:
ORBInitialHost and ORBInitialPort. See the appropriate README.<os> file
for more info.

I did make the  mistake of building the client with OmniORB version
2.6.1 distribution and the server with version 2.5. As you might have
guessed it didn't quite work. But after upgrading the server to v 2.6.1
everything worked fine.

My next test is to port the ORB to Lynx OS (a RTOS derivative of linux,
I think) and try to do the same. If anyone's attempted such a thing I
could use some helpful tips.

=rvs

--------------C650E0B162FD42251BC248A6

begin:          vcard
fn:             Ramesh V. Shaastri
n:              Shaastri;Ramesh V.
org:            Hewlett-Packard Company
adr:            2619 Product Drive;;Suite 106;Rochester Hills;Michigan;48309-3807;U.S.A.
email;internet: Ramesh_Shaastri@hp.com
title:          Software Design Engineer
tel;work:       248.844.0551
tel;fax:        248.853.0707
tel;home:       248.
note;quoted-printable:"...do it badly, do it quickly,=0D=0A=
	 make it better,=0D=0A=
	 and then say you planned it."=0D=0A=
	 - Tom Peters '90
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0