[omniORB] COM-omniORB Interface

Mark Shacklette mshack@interaccess.com
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:19:13 -0500 (CDT)

> I do not have any experience with using any COM-CORBA bridge
> product so I can't comment on this approach.

I have used ObjectBridge from Visual Edge software (www.visualedge.com), and
have it working with both VisiBroker and Expersoft's CorbaPlus (PowerBroker).
It works quite well, and is the basis for several OEM bridges, among them,
VisiBroker's own bridge which is in beta currently, and bridges for orbs by
Digital, HP, and Sun, et. al.  Visual Edge's bridge is bi-directional, that is,
COM-Corba and Corba-COM.

The only real requirement for ObjectBridge to work is an interface repository.
I believe that's one of the items omniORB currently lacks.  The reason why
ObjectBridge needs an IR is because it's browser uses the IR to retrieve
interface information for its browser.  Nevertheless, a coworker and I are
tomorrow going to try and see if we can get ObjectBridge working with omniORB.
We might see if we can use "someone else's" IR.

If we have any success, I'll post it.  I'm very interested in getting a bridge
working with omniORB, so if there's any further interest on this, write.

Mark