[omniORB] Re: can't get started with the Echo sample

Grohmann, Axel grohmann@ike.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:38:32 +0200

Ramesh V. Shaastri wrote:

> >Have you created the registry key for the naming service IOR?  I seem to
> >remember having to create a key for the IOR.
>
> Could someone tell me what should be the name+value for the key?

In our department, someone set it up with the
keyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\omniORB\2.0 (create it if it doesn't
exist). Add a string value (known as a REG_SZ data type when using REGEDT32)
called NAMESERVICE, and paste the IOR in to the value field associated with
it.

> >   Your omniORB.cfg needs to be set up. When omniNames first starts
> >it prints out an IOR, which goes in omniORB.cfg with "NAMESERVICE"
> >in front of it. resolve_initial_references() will look in that file
> >to find the IOR for the name service.
>
> I have no idea of where this file needs to be set up. I couldn't find a
> default file with this name in any of the subdirectories.

An alternative to the above possibility would be the setting of an
environment variable OMNIORB_CONFIG, which contains the full path name of a
file (usually called "omniORB.cfg"). This file contains:NAMESERVICE
IOR:000000.......
where the number after 'IOR:' is what the nameservice prints out at first
startup.

By the way, this is all described in the documentation, chapter "Setting up
your environment".

Cheers,

Axel Grohmann

Department of Knowledge Engineering and Numerics
Institute of Nuclear Energy and Energy Systems
University of Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 31
70550 Stuttgart
Germany