[omniORB] java eg2_client

Dietmar May dcmay@object-workshops.com
Tue, 12 May 1998 14:13:16 -0400

> a java eg2_client compiled from stubs generated by idl2java hangs in
> org.omg.CORBA.Request.invoke()

I had the exact same problem with a JDK Early Access version from May
97, running under JDK 1.1.5. Client and omniORB server were co-located
on the same server running WinNT 4.0, Visual C++. It would complete the
first call, but hang on the second.

I have had to eventually abandon Java integration for the time being
because of this. (I suspected the EA ORB was too old, and had some bugs
- and Visual Cafe, which we're using for our visual debug environment,
works with JDK 1.1.5, not 1.2) Would be VERY interested in details if
anyone has gotten Java to work reliably with omniORB for multiple client
request invocations.

However, you might try one of the "free" ORBs listed on the OMG's ORB
page. JacORB is a no-cost Java ORB - in late beta last time I checked.
Several commercial "free trials" were also available. You can download
an OrbixWeb eval for free as well - but the license key they sent me
didn't seem to work, so I've never explored this further.

Dietmar May
Software Architect