[omniORB] Can't get OmniORB 2.5.0 to work / DEC and HP

Robert H. Fritz rfritz@geologics.com
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:15:23 -0400

We're in need of some help from anyone with experience on the following
platforms:

On the DEC (Digital Unix v4.00a; CXX compiler; GNU Compiler 2.8.1.1):

CXX Compiler: We've gotten eg1 to work.  eg2_impl returns an IOR number, but
eg2_clt hangs and never returns.  omniNames was successfully setup, IOR,
.cfg, etc.  But eg3_impl and eg3_clt hang.  We have no idea how to
trouble-shoot this problem.

GNU Compiler: all examples abend with the following error:

DECThreads last chance handler: Thread 1 exiting on status exception:
0x177db00f
Exception: ABRT trap (DEC/thd).

On the HP (HPUX 10.10; GNU Compiler 2.8.1.1)

We've not been able to get any of the examples work.  They all map fault.
We have no idea how to trouble-shoot this problem.

We believe we understand the process.  We have gotten all of the examples to
work on a Sun (Solaris 2.5.2; GNU Compiler 2.8.1.1) and under/between Win95
and NT4.0 (MVC 5.0).  We've even gotten omniNames / eg_3 to run with the
server and client distributed between the Sun and NT or 95.

So, if anyone has gotten omniORB 2.5.0 to work on either a DEC or an HP,
please respond with what versions of OS, patches, compiler, libraries, make,
and makefiles you're using.  Any guidance appreciated.

Rob Fritz
rfritz@geologics.com