[omniORB] host address encoded in IOR?

Martin Gee mgee@sprintcorp.com
Fri, 08 May 1998 08:58:36 -0500

Rahul Sood wrote:

> If the impl is running on host A, where the BOA is listening, can a client
> on host B obtain a reference to it using the IOR generated by
> BOA::obj_to_string() on A? Otherwise, can the client specify the command
> line argument ORBserverName to be the hostname of the target ORB?

Host B can do a string_to_object with a IOR generated by Impl A. How B
gets the IOR is up to you.

> I have impls running on multiple hosts. The client is to be configured
> with different weights for the hosts so that it first contacts the host
> with the highest weight, and if there is no response or a COMM_FAILURE
> exception, go to the next host and so on. One solution is to create a node
> for each host in the naming service and bind the same impl under each
> node. The client can associate the parent nodes, which will have the "id"
> field set to hostname, with the respective weights.

> What is the general way of doing this without the naming service. IIOP
> does not do broadcasts, so how is the destination address specified?

If I understand you correctly. Your clients can get a reference to a
gate keeper (point of entry which you buid) and let the gate keeper
decide where your invocation will go.  Another way is to use
interceptors and catch an invocation and have all your impls knowing
about each other so that they can distibute the load.

> -R. Sood
> rsood@panix.com

HtH,
Martin