omniNames ?

Kim Gillies gillies@noao.edu
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:56:35 -0700 (MST)

All,
  After further examination of my "problem", I think I understand what is
happening, and I don't think there is any problem with omniNames or omniOrb.
I was getting a COMM_FAILURE because before doing an unbind I was attempting
to determine if the object to be unbound was a context or object.  As it
is done in nameclt, this requires the object to be resolved and then an
attempt is made to narrow it to a NamingContext.  The narrow operation
can require a call to _is_a, which must sometimes go to the implementation
of the object.  This causes a COMM_FAILURE if the object isn't available.
  So this was purely a cockpit/learning error and not a real problem.

  Maybe someone could comment on what conditions require _narrow to go
to the object implementation?

  Thanks,
  Kim Gillies
  kgillies@gemini.edu