JavaIdl client with omniNames?

Michael Nikonov mini@quant.ffke.mipt.ru
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:16:38 +0300

Kim Gillies wrote:

> All,
>   Can a JavaIDL-based client access the omniNames name service using
> resolve_initial_references?

To my knowlege, the answer is "no".JavaIDL's resolve_initial_references uses a
bootstraping protocol which is
specific to Sun's JavaIDL. It works only with JavaIDL servers and clients.

I checked CORBA 2.1 specs and it seems that they do not provide a standard way
of resolving
initial references.

> I can successfully access (limited tests only)
> omniNames from a Java client if I narrow the IOR from my omniORB.cfg
> file,

So do I.

> but when I try resolve_initial_references I get the following:
>
> ERROR : org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST  minor code: 0  completed: No
> org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST  minor code: 0  completed: No
>         at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.Utility.readSystemException(Utility.java:610)
>         at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.ReplyMessage.unmarshal(ReplyMessage.java:116)
>         at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.Message.createFromStream(Message.java:282)
>         at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.IIOPConnection.prefill(IIOPConnection.java:929)
>         at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.ReaderThread.run(IIOPConnection.java:80)
>
>   I start the client with -ORBInitialPort set to the same port as is in my
> omniNames log file (9000).

This cannot help because JavaIDL's ORBInitialPort is a port where JavaIDL's
bootstraping service(com/sun/CosNaming/BootstrapServer object) is expected to
be.
And for omniNames, the port in log file is the port where
org/omg/CosNaming/NamingContext
itself is available.

>   Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this to work.  I'm using the 11/24
> snapshot of omniOrb.  I also tried with the previous version.
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>
> Kim Gillies
> Gemini 8-m Telescopes Project
> kgillies@gemini.edu

The only solution I know is to obtain IOR from onmiORB.cfg (java client can do
this via HTTP or FTP).

Regards,

Michael Nikonov