transfering images: maximum marshaling size?

Val Gough val@nilenet.com
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:58:52 -0700

I've been playing around with transferring images through CORBA
interfaces in OmniORB 2.4.  In order to test the speed, I was sending
images of various sizes.

The results have been reasonably good, as long as the image doesn't get
too large. For example, a 1200 x 1200 x 8bpp image is transferred in
0.542 seconds between a server and client in different processes on the
same system.  This is the time from when the request is made to when the
data is received and unpacked into the native (non CORBA) image format.

But, changing to an image of size 1500 x 1500 x 8bpp, I get an exception
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/MARSHAL   (it's a CORBA::SystemException).  I'm not
sure where exactly this is being thrown...  Is there a maximum size for
OmniORB marshaled objects, and where can I find information about this?

thanks,
Val Gough

PS.  I'm not subscribed to this list, I'm only reading the archives, so
please CC a copy to me if you respond.