Win95, Standalone computer

Jason M. Felice jasonf@apk.net
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:38:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> > I tried to install omniORB2 to standalone Windows95.
> > Unsuccessful.
>
> You have to setup your machine to have a loopback network interface.
>
> I believe that involves installing the "MS Loopback Adapter" as a network
> device and configure TCP/IP protocol with a valid IP address and subnet
> mask.
>
> Sai-Lai

Under Windoze 95, I had the problems... the executables just hang.  Turns
out that if you don't set OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME=localhost, gethostbyname()
never returns.

If you have  a ppp connection to the internet with DNS set up, everything
works fine without the variable set.  I looked through Winsock 2 to find
another way to get a list of the local machine's interfaces, but I
couldn't understand half the new garbage MS has added in.  There's
probably a way, but..

I'd like to find  a way to detect that automatically, but that might mess
some things up.    I'm assuming IORs have the machines addresses encoded
in them, and these would change if the address changes.  Is omniORB aware
of runtime machine address changes?

-Jay