[omniORB] Re: omniorb and java

Armen Yampolsky ayampolsky@erols.com
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:06:42 -0500

In working with Sun's Java CORBA libraries (Java IDL) client-side, we
have noticed another issue: Although setting the
omniORB::idleConnectionScanPeriod on our server gives us control over
omniORB's connection shutdown scheme, it is not a complete fix. Since
the omniNames service runs in its own process, it is not affected by our
settings and uses the default hard-coded 30 second scan period. You will
find that addressing it from a java ORB will fail after a >60 second
delay. We simply altered the omniNames.cc file in order to allow us to
set the timeout via command line.

This may be a simple but very helpful addition to omniORB. IMHO, it
would give it a consistency (why can we set the timeout for one process
and not another?). Could we convince the developers to add it?

Cheers,
-Armen

--
Armen Yampolsky
Axiom Software Labs

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 Gary D. Duzan wrote:

>We have been using it with Orbacus/Java (formerly known as
>OmniBroker) without any noticable problems. It should work fine
>with most decent Java ORBs. The only exception may be that some
>ORBs don't like OmniORB's connection shutdown scheme, but that
>can be shut off on the OmniORB side, if necessary.
>
>                                        Gary Duzan
>                                       GTE Laboratories

>In Message <36668BA8.173860F7@itwm.uni-kl.de> ,
>  lojewski <lojewski@itwm.uni-kl.de> wrote:

=>hallo.
=>is there now or in the near fucture a way to use omniorb together with
=>java ?
=>is there a idl2java anywhere ?
=>this is important to decide application development.