[omniORB] Connection Handler

Armen Yampolsky ayampolsky@erols.com
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 01:49:16 -0500

I am relatively new to omniORB, so please pardon me if this question has
been thoroughly covered before. I've searched the archives and docs, but
have not found an answer.

I need to implement strict object disposal on my server. Many of the
servants place locks on databases, and I need a guarantee that all locks
and resources belonging to a disconnected client are freed, no matter
the reason for the connection loss.

In working with other ORB vendors, I had implemented an Evictor pattern,
wherein a map was maintained by the server, tracking all connected
clients and their respective objects. I had a handler for the
(proprietary) connected and aborted events. If a client dropped
unexpectedly, my server knew about it and cleaned up after it. Now I am
moving to omniORB2, and am looking for such a hook. I see the events
written to cerr if I crank up the debug level. I'll be looking into the
source soon, but am hoping someone can recommend a "proper" way to do
distributed garbage collection with omniORB.

TIA,
-A.

--
Armen Yampolsky