[omniORB] OmniOrb on Macintosh?

Stephen Coy stevec@cia.com.au
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:52:51 +1100

Hi,

Kristian asked:

>I'm trying to figure out how much work it will take to port OmniOrb to run
>(as a client) on a Power Macintosh. Does anybody know about an existng
>Macintosh version?

I've heard that other people have had omniORB working on a Macintosh,
usually using some kind of sockets library such as GUSI or MacWinSock.

On the other hand, I am having a go at a native Open Transport port for the
Mac. I've already ported the omnithread library to MacOS threads. The
omniORB architecture lends itself quite nicely to the OT port. I expect to
have something up and running in the next few weeks (it's a spare time
labour of love at present).

>So far I have managed to get the IDL compiler to compile the
>"bootstrap.idl", I have created stubs for the Omnithread implementation,
>added the GUSI "socket" library and everything compiles - and *almost*
>links.

I used a linux system to compile the idl stuff. I've got a rough port of the
idl compiler implemented as a Metrowerks Codewarrior plugin. It still needs
a lot of work though. Initially, I set out to do this first, but then
decided it would be more productive to get the ORB going.

>At this stage what seems to stop me is the following link error:
>
>"Link Error   : missing vtable
>'CosNaming::NamingContext_proxyObjectFactory::__vt'
>Check that all virtual functions and static members are defined"
>
>I have been searching through all the sourcecode but I cant find the
>implementation of the "CosNaming::NamingContext_proxyObjectFactory" class
>methods.

I'm afraid I can't help you here. Which development environment are you
using? Most C++ compilers (on the Mac anyway) need at least one
"out-of-line" virtual function definition (ie. one in a .cpp file) so that
the compiler can guess which object file should get the vtable.

Very soon now, I hope to get my web site organised. I'll then stick the
"work in progress" up for others to get at.

Ultimately, I want to get it all in a state that can be integrated with the
original distribution.

Regards,

Steve Coy
Resolve Software Pty Ltd