[omniORB] omniORB2 with Borland C++ Builder app => Compilation Errors!!!

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
17 Apr 1998 12:08:31 +0100

dmorgen@alum.mit.edu (David Morgenlender) writes:

> I just ran both WIB.CC & WOB.CC from README.BCC through Borland C++ =
> Builder 3.  The good news is that WOB.CC at least seemed to compile ok.
>
> The bad news is that while WIB.CC seemed to compile ok, bad code was =
> generated.  Not only does the compiler use the wrong type when using an
> overloaded = operator for an enum, but are there problems handling
> overloaded operators for streams/strings ... it's handled wrong in
> main(), but ok in some other functions!
>
> Something else I wonder about ... remember the original problems I =
> reported BCB3 reported "lvalue required" errors on some enum assignments.
> I can't find any overloaded operator=3D that would apply here.  But I
> wonder if this = is a similar case of compiler confusion on overloaded
> operators.
>
> I'll report these new problems to Borland.  But I doubt there will be a =
> quick resolution.

> Do you see any hope for getting omniORB2 ported to BCB3 in the near term,
> or should I look for another orb?

The overloaded operator bug is quite fatal. It may be possible to
workaround the problem by not defining the operators for enum and switch to
some explicit marshalling functions. This is tedious and involving manually
editing the stub code. I would not suggest you doing that unless you have
no choice.

It may be worth looking at other orbs to see if they are hit by the same
problem.

Sai-Lai