[omniORB] Standard ?

Ian Brennan ibrennan@iona.com
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:37:40 +0100

> Unable to find any reference in the CORBA spec which would
> REQUIRE an ORB implementation to support an Environment parameter. (I've
> got to admit that I haven't looked TOO hard, though). The wording for
> 16.17 seems to indicate that it is not needed if a compiler supports
> native C++ exceptions:

It's not required, in fact I believe it's _illegal_ to support the Environment
parameter in mappings for compilers that _do_ support exceptions. Open to
correction on this, tho.

[...]

> > For true language independence this will need to be done anyway, since
> > clients written in C, for example, will be sending Environments all the
> > time.
>
> It is my understanding that at the client/server boundary, the ORBs
> should handle any necessary conversion between language-specific
> implementation issues, such as exceptions. As such, a server written in
> C++, and using native C++ exceptions, should be able to throw an
> exception, have it caught by the server ORB, converted into whatever
> exception class it maps to, and passed back to the client via IIOP. For a
> client written in C, it would be converted into its C mapping, and passed
> up the calling chain via the Environment parameter until it was handled.
[...]

Agreed.  That's the whole point of using CORBA, innit?

And first prize goes to the one who can tell me how exceptions are mapped in
COBOL...

Ian.
----