[omniORB] exceptions..can't throw from server to client

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:46:27 +0100

>      Any exception I throw from the server gets rethrown as a
>      CORBA::SystemException at the client.  Any data I had in the exception
>      seems to have been lost.

>      Is it possible to make my own exceptions, derived from
>      CORBA::SystemException or CORBA::UserException, and have that
>      exception thrown from the server and caught at the client or even
>      catch a CORBA::exception and _narrow it to my exception?

It looks like you are throwing an exception in your server code that ***has
not*** been defined in your IDL interface. This is why the ORB on the
server side tell the client this is an UNKNOWN exception!

To use your own exception, define it in the IDL. Have a look at the IDL
syntax to find out how to do this.

Regards,
Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND