Persistent Objects

Edward Scott Edward.Scott@prismtech.co.uk
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 11:32:20 +0100

Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> > If I wanted to do a demand driven style of persistent loading e.g. an
> > object is only retrived from persistent store when an operation is
> > performed on it will I need to modify omniOrb e.g. in
> > GIOP_S::HandleRequest or omni::locateObject and add a mechanism to
> > define how a particular type of object is loaded?
>
> A more elegant solution is to use LOCATION_FORWARDING. When the first
> operation is performed on the object, the object is retrived from
> persistent store and instantiated. The object reference to this newly
> instantiated object, which is different from the original object, is then
> returned in a LOCATION_FORWARD message.

The LOCATION_FORWARDING solution is obviously a good idea but is it an
addition to what I was suggesting rather than an alternative? I still
need to detect when the first operation is performed on a unrestored
perstent object...

Regards

Edward

Edward Scott ................Prism Technologies Ltd., Kingfisher House,
http://www.prismtech.co.uk ..Kingsway, Tyne & Wear, NE11 0JQ, England
Edward.Scott@prismtech.co.uk Tel +44(0)1914913983 Fax +44(0)1914913973