Solaris omniORB, GNU g++, JavaIDL

Michael Brug Michael.Brug@mch.sni.de
Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:28:15 +0200

Thomas Wenger wrote:

> Now omniORB compiles with GNU but you have to forget about using shared libraries. But static ones work.

I am not having problems with shared libraries. I had to change some of
the Makefiles for shared libraries. I simply can't debug shared
libraries. gdb tells me at startup that it does not find these, although
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set.

> One problem that still persists, is that omniNames can not check the logfiles. There seems to be a problem with file handles, beacause I get some dead .nfsxxxx files in the log directory. This does not happen when compiling with Sun CC.
>
> The output of GNU compiled omniNames is:
>
>   Wed Jul  2 11:00:52 1997:
>
>   Checkpointing Phase 1: Prepare.
>   I/O error writing checkpoint file: Bad file number
>   Abandoning checkpoint

Did you change log.cc. There is #defined _sunos__ ... at several places
This needs to be changed to
#if defined(__sunos__) && (__SUNPRO_CC)

This has been noted earlier in a mail.

> Running JavaIDL (Early Access EA) is no problem. But to connect Java programs to C++ programs using omniORB and omniNames seems to be impossible up to now.
>
> I can interconnect the two ORBs when using stringified IOR with copy/paste.
>
> I added the missing line [#pragma prefix "org.omg"] to the Naming.idl of omniNames, to be compliant with JavaIDL naming. But I can not use omniNames from Java as initial Name Server.
>
> So does anybody know how to get a reference to omniNames in JavaIDL without having to copy/paste a stringified IOR?

Could you connect C++ programs with Java programs using the Java
Nameservice?
This I could do after recompiling everything. There is still a problem
somewhere because I did not manage to use the omniORB nameService with
Java programs alone.

--
Michael Brug