[omniORB-dev] Remove unnecessary null pointer checks

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Nov 6 14:14:10 UTC 2023

On Fri, 2023-11-03 at 13:45 +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:

> > Do you have a specific reason for running this sort of analysis on
> > omniORB's code,
> I hope that chances will grow for a corresponding source code
> cleanup.

But why?  What is your interest in doing that for omniORB?

[...]
> I guess that more questionable code can be transformed
> if smart pointers can also be applied instead.
>
> Would you like to take the C++ guideline “R.11: Avoid calling new
> and delete explicitly” better into account?
> https://isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines#r11-avoid-calling-new-and-delete-explicitly

omniORB is an implementation of the CORBA C++ mapping standard:

https://www.omg.org/spec/CPP/1.3

The standard is very old, and predates standard C++. It _requires_ use
of new and delete in many places.

 -- Duncan Grisby --
  -- duncan at grisby.org --