[omniORB] omniORB transfer sizes.

FAYOLLE Eric eric.fayolle at edf.fr
Fri Feb 17 18:37:40 UTC 2023

HI,

I'm writing to get some additional information about the maximum omniORB transfer sizes.

I noticed that between omiorb 4.2.x and 4.3.0 the management of the giopMaxMsgSize option has been changed internally from type CORBA::ULong to size_t and the value 0 allows to use the maximum size of the system pointer (64bits). I'm trying to test this transfer option using the -ORBgiopMaxMsgSize 0 option which seems to be set correctly.

However, in trying to do some further testing, I've come across several limitations and would like to know which are normal, standard limitations or something potentially configurable at the configuration stage.

It seems that when using a char sequence, because the sequence length mapping is of type CORBA:ULong the sequence size is limited by the 32bit type (uint C on my machine). Is the length of a sequence always limited by a 32bit count? I imagine it is indirectly constrained by the normalized CORBA mapping.

Unless I'm mistaken (and it's quite possible), it seems that when using a double sequence, the limitation no longer comes from the size of the sequence but from the size of the underlying buffer, which also seems to be limited to 32 bits but signed. Indeed, I can transmit 256*1024*1024-1 double (8*256*1024*1024-1 == 0x7fffffff (MAX SIGN INT )) but not one more than that.

Finally, I don't know what to think about the different size limits for sequences and objects?
Could you please clarify this for me.

Thank you.
Eric

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le 'Message') sont établis à l'intention exclusive des destinataires et les informations qui y figurent sont strictement confidentielles. Toute utilisation de ce Message non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication totale ou partielle, est interdite sauf autorisation expresse.

Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce Message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d'en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce Message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et de n'en garder aucune trace sur quelque support que ce soit. Nous vous remercions également d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour du message.

Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus.

This message and any attachments (the 'Message') are intended solely for the addressees. The information contained in this Message is confidential. Any use of information contained in this Message not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

If you are not the addressee, you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return message.

E-mail communication cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free.