[omniORB] C++11 support

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Mar 30 10:15:46 BST 2017

On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 10:42 +0200, Michael Teske via omniORB-list
wrote:

> just a question, are there any plans to support some new features of
> C++11? I think the performance of our software and maybe omniORB
> itself could greatly benefit from some of these, especially move
> semantics, and here especially the sequence types.

There are no plans, but as you say, it might make a useful difference
for some applications. I don't think it would help omniORB itself much,
because it generally avoids situations that copy data in a way the move
semantics save you from. The C++ mapping tends to pass sequence
parameters by reference, and returns sequence types by pointer, which
means it avoids assignment from one to another most of the time.

> If there are no plans, I might try to add some myself.
> Of course enclosed in
> #if __cplusplus == 201103L
> #endif
> as c++98 needs to be supported, too.

If you come up with a minimal patch that adds this, it could be
included in the code base.