[omniORB] Sequence allocation of inner objects

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Jun 6 11:04:49 BST 2017

On Sat, 2017-06-03 at 09:10 +0200, Thierry Descombes via omniORB-list
wrote:

> We have developed a software for embedded data acquisition. We have
> little resources. We use omniORB to send data containing a CORBA
> sequence of AdcEventData objects :
>
> typedef sequence <AdcEventData> SeqAdcEventData
>
> The AdcEventData object itself contains sequences and a big structure
> of informations. To process / sort this information, we need to break
> this SeqAdcEventData to extract all of the AdcEventData.

To be precise, I don't think you mean AdcEventData is an "object",
which in CORBA would generally mean an object reference, declared in
IDL with "interface". I think you mean it is a struct.

> Currently, we are calling a function to create a new copy of the
> AdcEventData:
>
> addAdc(new AdcEventData ((* s) [i])); // for each elem of the
> sequence

> And then, we delete the sequence (that frees all inner AdcEventData
> objects)... but it consumes lot of unnecessarily resources on our
> small embedded CPU.

> Is there a good solution for not having to re-instantiate and copy
> the AdcEventData ? Could we just copy pointer's (AdcEventData*)
> values, and then fix the sequence length to 0 before calling delete
> on it ?

Not exactly. The C++ mapping for a sequence of structs requires that
the sequence uses an array of the structs in its internal buffer, not
an array of pointers to structs. You therefore can't get the pointers
of the sequence members and manage them separately, because the structs
are all allocated in a single big buffer.

You can, however, extract the buffer of structs from the sequence and
manage its lifecycle yourself. You can call the standard get_buffer
method on the sequence, settings the "orphan" parameter to true. That
transfers ownership of the buffer to you, meaning that when the
sequence object is deleted, it does not free the buffer. You have to
free it yourself later. The C++ mapping specification says you have to
free it by calling the sequence type's freebuf() function, but in
omniORB that's just a call to delete[], so you could directly delete[]
it.

If that isn't sufficient for you, you could resort to customising the
generated code. If you put the IDL sequence definition in its own
separate IDL file, then you could quite easily provide a different
implementation of the C++ sequence type that managed the members as an
array of pointers. Look in include/omniORB4/seqTemplatedecls.h for the
definition of the _CORBA_Sequence template to see how it's implemented.