[omniORB] Side-by-side installation of python2 and python3 omniORB

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 16:05:56 BST 2017

Hi

I maintain the omniORB / omniORBpy packages for Fedora. Given the
ongoing transition to python3, I've been asked to also provide python3
packages for omniORB.

My issue is the name clashing of the

/usr/bin/omniidl
/usr/bin/omniidlrun.py

scripts - all other python related files are installed underneath the
respetive python site prefixes and hence don't cause any conflicts.

I take it is a bad idea to rename omniidl to say omniidl-3 because it is
likely called by other scripts which expect omniidl to be named such. So
I wonder whether side-by-side installation is even possible? Resp. does
it actually matter which interpreter version is used to run
omniidl/omniidlrun.py?

Thanks
Sandro