[omniORB] Removing special characters in corbaloc references

Rob Ratcliff rrr6399 at futuretek.com
Tue May 5 17:19:21 BST 2015

Thanks for the response Duncan.
>> BTW, can bidirectional GIOP be enabled for the RootPOA or the omniINSPOA?
> No, because policies are set in the call to create_POA, and the special
> POAs are pre-created.

This is the first time I have enabled bidirectional GIOP and was
surprised by how much effort was required to activate it successfully.
It would be nice to have a simple command line argument that turned it
on by default such as documented here for VisiBroker:

http://supportline.microfocus.com/Documentation/books/VisiBroker/85/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=VisiBroker&file=bidir.101.1.html#891830

As you all know, bidirectional GIOP eliminates a lot of the networking
headaches that come along with callbacks, especially with firewalls and
machines with multiple network interfaces. I submit that it should even
be the default. If somebody had a security concern, there would be a
flag to turn it off.

If Bidirectional GIOP was the default back in 2000, the CORBA scene may
have been much different now. It took over a decade for the web
development community to realize that efficient bidirectional
communication was important before they created WebSockets - a binary,
bidirectional stack.

(The same is true of Java's RMI. It should've been bidirectional from
the onset just like this RMI replacement:
https://github.com/cojen/Dirmi/wiki/Remote-callback )

--
Rob Ratcliff
FutureTek Software Consulting