[omniORB] Is there any way to compile OmniORB with GNU compilers under MS Windows?

szyk100 szyk100 at o2.pl
Wed Oct 15 15:24:56 BST 2014

Hello
I strugle several days with compilation omniORB under windows. But sadly without success. I try follow instruction in README.win32.txt file but it is a bit strange to me. It says that Cygwin is required to compile omniORB. That is fine. But why it can use Cygwin's Python? And why instruction mention MinGW instead use just Cygwin's compiler? Using Cygwin and MinGW is very bad idea because they have different path spaces (Cygwin has /cygwindrive/c/ but MinGW just /c/) and MinGW don't see Cygwin include directory (witch means that it can use Python includes from Cygwin). I know about g++ flag -I but where should I type it???
I'm try compile omniORB with Cygwin32 and Cygwin's Python and with Cygwin's compiler (g++). It compile quite well until strange linker error with "undefined reference to" (details are in my previous message). I think that that straight way is untested. I feel that MS compilers are recomendend under Windows. But I want avoid them. I also want to avoid MinGW and MinGW64 because (in my opinion) they only mess the situation.
I want to ask the omniORB developers whether can they consider tune compiling procedure under windows in the way using Cygwin alone? Alone means with Cygwin's Python and compiler and without external Python and without MinGW.
best regards
Szyk Cech
ps.1. Suprisingly under Linux (Kubuntu) omniORB compiles without any problems (in adition it is included in repository).
ps.2. There is a litle problem with configure script under Windows - programs (conftest.exe) with sizeof fails in most cases. Then most sizeofs are 0 in file [top of omniORB]\include\omniORB4\acconfig.h . The problem is caused probably by Windows write protection to exe files when execute (it probably keep that protection for some time after end of execution).