[omniORB] High heap memory consumption due to omni layer memory management [OMNI ORB version 4.1.4]

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 18 15:38:58 BST 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 11:29 +0000, Agarwal, Shelendra wrote:

[...]
> The leak detector tools are clearly telling that, there are no leaks
> in our application or in omni. With this we are getting an impression
> that it’s a different kind of memory management technique. But then
> the concern is, for each serving thread if it allocates good amount of
> heap memory and keep with it as working area/memory then we are
> running out of resources.

omniORB does not do anything special with memory management. It just
uses new and delete.

What you describe is actually a common way for system memory allocators
to behave. They allocate large blocks of memory from the OS, and then
keep hold of it without giving it back to the OS. You don't say what
platform your server is using, but you may find there are some platform
configuration options that affect the bahaviour of the memory allocator.