[omniORB] omni names log cleanup

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Sep 24 15:46:17 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 11:09 -0400, Jason Hein wrote:

> Has anyone had issues with the lack of cleanup to the omninames*.log
> file in /var/omniNames?  My application creates thousands of dynamic
> objects and the naming service hangs after the log files grows beyond
> approximately 250MB.  Many of the references are stale and will never
> be referenced, therefore they could be cleaned up.  Is there a known
> or supported way to cleanup or rotate this file without bringing down
> the naming service?

How are you using omniNames?  What are all the object references, and
why do they need entries in the naming service?

The naming service is intended to be used to bootstrap a small number of
initial object references, not for thousands of transient objects.
omniNames therefore has a simple in-memory representation of the naming
graph, and a simple redo log format for persistence. That's fine for its
intended purpose, but it sounds like perhaps you need something else.