[omniORB] cross compile host tools bug

mlweber1 at rockwellcollins.com mlweber1 at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Sep 12 19:19:43 BST 2013

When building omniorb for a cross target (ie building on x86 to create a
ARM executable).  I follow the following existing steps, but I believe the
attached patch can make this cleaner.

1) I configure using the cross compiler defines and point the build at my
ARM sysroot
2) I directly build the tools and place them for use by the cross build
${HOST_MAKE_ENV} ${MAKE} CXX=${HOSTCXX} CC=${HOSTCC} -C src/tool/omkdepend
cp src/tool/omkdepend/omkdepend bin/
${HOST_MAKE_ENV} ${MAKE} CXX=${HOSTCXX} CC=${HOSTCC} -C
src/tool/omniidl/cxx/cccp
${HOST_MAKE_ENV} ${MAKE} CXX=${HOSTCXX} CC=${HOSTCC} -C
src/tool/omniidl/cxx
3) Then I do a target make and let it build the cross compiled omniorb.

Since the src/tools folder already has an export and clean capability.  By
adding a check to the definition of the CC/CXX/etc defines in
beforeauto.mk, we can temporarily override the cross toolchain to build
the tools and install them.  ie below

        $(HOST_MAKE_ENV) $(MAKE) CXX=$(HOSTCXX) CC=$(HOSTCC) -C src/tool
export

This is instead of directly building the source and installing like I did
above.  See attached for the patch.

Matthew L Weber / Sr Software Engineer / Platform SW
mlweber1 at rockwellcollins.com
www.rockwellcollins.com