[omniORB] omniORBpy on Mac OS-X: /Libraries/Pythonx.y/libs/site-packages?

Kristoffel Pirard kristoffel.pirard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 09:31:21 BST 2013

Hi there, I'm a new omniORBpy user.

Recently I was trying to install omniORBpy on a mac.  Downloading,
configuring and building the omniORB and omniORBpy packages as mentioned on
the installation page worked like a charm.  'sudo make install' omniORB
went well, too.

But 'sudo make install' omniORBpy only _seemed_ to work:  it put it's .so
files and .py files in the site-packages folder of the 'default' python lib
location, while when running python on the mac, packages are searched in
/Libraries/Python2.7/libs/site-packages.

I hand-fixed it by adding a symlink to the relevant files in /Libaries...,
but I believe that the configure or installation script should have
accounted for that.

Now I have two questions:

A. The configure script has, of course, the --prefix argument.  Can I use
that to indicate where the site-packages are going to be put?

B. Anyhow, I would assume that the configure script intends to be
cross-platform.  Not being an autotools-guru myself, I post the question to
the mailing list: why did this go wrong, and how should this be fixed?

Many thanks,

Kristoffel