[omniORB] timeout associated with omniORB calls

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jun 6 15:28:12 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 16:43 +0530, sheena kansal wrote:

> What will happen if we give timeout using SinkTimeoutMsec() API?
>
> for example, we have code like this -
> //const long SinkTimeoutMsec = 15000;
> omniORB::setClientCallTimeout( rootContext,ServerReady::SinkTimeoutMsec);
> o_ObjRef = rootContext->resolve(name);

If the resolve() call takes more than 15 seconds, the call will result
in a CORBA::TRANSIENT exception. The minor code will be set to the value
omni::TRANSIENT_CallTimedOut.

> what is the value of default timeout?

There is no default timeout. By default calls never time out, so they
can block forever. When opening a new TCP connection to a server, the
operating system's TCP stack will have a default connection timeout if
the server is not reachable, but that value is usually very long.

Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org>