[omniORB] hang in recv() call at client side

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 18 11:32:12 BST 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 15:15 +0530, sheena kansal wrote:

> We are seeing hang in the client side in recv() call. Currently we are
> having clientCallTimeOutPeriod = 0, do you think its ok to set it to
> 120000 (2 hrs) or 1 hr and that could make the client timeout after 1
> hr or 2 hr instead of waiting forever at recv() call?
>
> Will it have any side-effects?

Well, if you set a timeout, your calls will time out. Would you expect
some of your calls to take that long, or has something gone wrong?  If
you're not expecting calls to take so long, then setting a timeout will
mask the problem, but probably not actually solve it.

Timeouts can save you from network issues that cause your call, or the
reply to it, to get lost, in a way that the client can't detect. More
likely, the actual problem is something that has gone wrong in the
server, so you should understand what's happening there.