[omniORB] resolve() and _remote_non_existent()

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Jan 23 19:02:11 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 21:40 +0530, smitha smi wrote:

> (1)
> What exactly is the difference between
>
>  _remote_non_existent  and  _non_existent ?

As I said in my original email, _non_existent is the standard method.
_remote_non_existent is an omniORB implementation detail. It may be
changed or removed in a future version.

If an object does not exist, _non_existent returns true;
_remote_non_existent throws CORBA::OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.

> (2)
>  We have been using : _remote_non_existent: from past many years and
> only now we are seeing the issue.
>
> In there any possibility that, _remote_non_existent will throw an
> exception and _non_existent  will return false?

I can't think of a situation off-hand where _non_existent will return
false, but it might happen with some pseudo object references like
CORBA::Policy. Or it could happen with a normal object reference that is
used after it is released if you were unlucky about memory reuse.