[omniORB] generating persistent ior using GENIOR

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Feb 27 18:07:11 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 18:57 +0100, MICHEL Franck (SAGEM DEFENSE
SECURITE) wrote:

> We are trying to use "genior" to generate a persistent IOR :
>
>     genior "IDL:test:1.0" "192.168.0.1" "27300" ".MY_POA.MY_OBJECT_NAME"
>
> The object_key used here is the one dumped from the server when :
> - The server prints its IOR
> - We decode it using "catior -o"
> - We use the object key displayed here as a text
> - We regenerate the IOR using "genior" and the text object key
> => no luck, it doesn't work

Those dots in the object key are not really dot characters. They are
representing unprintable binary values.

> When we generate the persistent IOR using this alternative method, it WORKS :
> - The server prints its IOR
> - We decode it using "catior -x" (print object key as a hexadecimal value)
> - We use the object key displayed here as an hex
> - We regenerate the IOR using "genior" and the hex object key "0x..."
> => it WORKS

By using the hex form, you have correctly handled the unprintable
characters.

> Besides, the IOR displayed by the server is different than the one
> generated with "genior" even with the hex trick.

There are padding bytes that are initialised with arbitrary data.

Why are you using genior to make your object reference?  Why not just
use the IOR output by the server?  Or use a corbaloc URI?  genior is
meant as a testing and development tool, rather than something for
making persistent object references.