[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE : First Chance Exception

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Aug 28 11:32:49 BST 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 13:21 +0200, Thomas Pedot wrote:

> I use omniorb 4.1.6 on Windows (32bit) in a debug version. I have some
> exception like (Visual Studio Output) :
> First-chance exception at 0x759cc41f in CORBA-Serveur.exe: Microsoft C
> ++ exception: omni::giopStream::CommFailure at memory location
> 0x032af7a0..

That's just Visual Studio logging that an exception was thrown. It's
normal, and handled internally to omniORB.

> My application works to a certain point then an exception of type
> CORBA::COMM_FAILURE or CORBA::TRANSIENT is thrown on the client side.

In what circumstances?

CORBA::COMM_FAILURE means that omniORB was using a connection and it
broke; CORBA::TRANSIENT can be caused by various things, but most often
it has a minor code of TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed, which means that omniORB
tried to connect to the server's port, and the connection was refused.