[omniORB] Problems after upgrading IBM C++ compiler from xlc_R 10.0 to 11.1

Jayanth Venkatraj jayanthv at cmsinc.com
Wed Sep 26 15:02:38 BST 2012

Everything compiles fine, but during run time, it crashes without any coredumps, exceptions or no logs clues about what is happening. After inserting debug lines, I found that it was around this section of code
       if( MISC_TABLE_ID != tableID )
       {
            OrbSchemaStructure orbSchemaStruct;
            orbSchemaStruct.tableName = tableView;
            orbSchemaStruct.columnName = colName;
            orbSchemaStruct.dataType   = tsFact->convertDBDataTypeToEVDataType( toString( col.type() ) );
            orbSchemaStruct.primaryKeyComponent = pkComponent;
            schemaStructureDeque.push_back( orbSchemaStruct );
        }

It happens whenever we try to do a
      CORBA::string = RWCString
RWCString is a string object from the RogueWave libraries. The application stops crashing when it is changed to :
                        orbSchemaStruct.tableName = CORBA::string_dup(tableView);
            orbSchemaStruct.columnName = CORBA::string_dup(colName);

but it crashes again when we try to do schemaStructureDeque.push_back( orbSchemaStruct );
and the schemaStructureDeque happens to be an object of type DEQUE< OrbSchemaStructure >& schemaStructureDeque where DEQUE is a define for std::deque.
The OrbSchemaStructure is a struct defined in an idl as follows :
 struct OrbSchemaStructure
{
   string        tableName;
   string        columnName;
   unsigned long dataType;
   boolean       primaryKeyComponent;
};

I am using omniORB 4.0.4 btw, and this omniORB was compiled using a different compiler than what the code was compiled with, I am not sure if that makes any difference, but I came across this thread, which asks us to use (const char*) casting, but I see that my application crashes when I use that as well.
http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/1998-July/011461.html
Has anyone else faced such problems because of changing the compiler version? Let me know if I am missing any info.

Jay Venkatraj
Credit Management Solutions, Inc.
6640 Eli Whitney Drive, Suite 200
Columbia, MD 21046
(410) 953-8437

"The information contained in this email message may be privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended only for the individual to whom or entity to which it is addressed as shown at the beginning of the message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or if the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message is not an employee or agent of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, use, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return email and permanently delete this message and your reply to the extent it includes this message. Any views or opinions presented in this message or attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company. All emails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by the Company."