[omniORB] omniORB: Assertion failed

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon May 14 18:55:48 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 11:31 -0400, William Boehm wrote:

[...]
> >Why version 4.1.4?  That is quite old now. Why not the current release,
> >4.1.6?
>
> We had some internal discussions and we normally like to stay one
> release behind in case of any new issues that might arise, but in this
> case we came to the decision to just go to 4.1.4 instead of 4.1.5.

OK, but that means you are using a version with quite a few known bugs.
See

http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/bugs/bugfixes-415.html

and

http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/bugs/bugfixes-414.html

Each micro release (i.e. from 4.1.5 to 4.1.6) only includes bug fixes
and very small features, so it is usually wise to use the latest
release.

[...]
> >That means that some static initialisers are not being executed. Do the
> >examples in src/examples/echo work when built using the standard make
> >files?  Execute make in build/src/examples/echo then try to run eg1.
> >Whether that works or not will show whether the problem is with the
> >omniORB build or with the way your application code is linked.
>
> I compiled the echo example and was able to run it with no issues.
> I said, "Hello!".
> The Echo object replied, "Hello!".

OK, so that means the build is working in general. Can you compare the
compile and link command lines used for the echo examples and those for
your application build?  I suspect there will be something different
about the way things are built that is causing the issue.