[omniORB] omniORB: Assertion failed

William Boehm william_boehm at cmsinc.com
Thu May 10 12:31:11 BST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Grisby [mailto:duncan at grisby.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:51 AM
To: William Boehm
Cc: omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
Subject: Re: [omniORB] omniORB: Assertion failed

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 15:49 -0400, William Boehm wrote:

> We currently have a system running omniORB-4.0.4 on Solaris (running
> SunOs 5.8) and we want to upgrade to
> omniORB-4.1.4, but we also want to support the older versions of our
> application using omniORB-4.0.4.

>Why version 4.1.4?  That is quite old now. Why not the current release,
>4.1.6?

We had some internal discussions and we normally like to stay one release behind in case of any new issues that might arise, but in this case we came to the decision to just go to 4.1.4 instead of 4.1.5.

> I downloaded the following packages:

> omniORB-4.1.4.tar.gz
>
> omnipython-sun4_sosV_5.7.tar.gz (please note we used this version
> under omniORB-4.0.4 as well)

>The minimal omnipython distribution is now very old. Most people use a
>full Python installation these days. I don't think it's pertinent to
>your problem, but it might save you some trouble to use a full Python.

Agreed and we could build the full version of Python, we were just trying to limit the scope of changes that we were making and since we currently use the minimal omnipython distribution with no issues we thought it was a good idea to maintain that.

> We extracted the packages and then ran the make command defining the
> CC and CXX to use cc(Sun C 5.6 Patch 117551-03 2004/11/23)
> and CC(Sun C++ 5.5 2003/03/12) respectively. It appears that
> omniORB-4.1.4 built successfully and the libraries are under the
> build/lib directory. We did not run make install as we didn't want to
> overwrite the original libraries in the /usr/local/lib
> directory, so we changed our make files to point to the new libraries
> under the build directory. We are able to rebuild our binaries
> without an issues.

>How exactly did you configure it?  Did you use the configure script or
>the old-style platform files?

$ ../configure --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc CXX=/opt/
SUNWspro/bin/CC PYTHON=/usr/src/omniORB-4.1.4/bin/sun4_sosV_5.7/omnipython

>To avoid having to reach into the build tree for the libraries, it is
>better to give a --prefix argument to the configure script to tell it to
>install somewhere else.

We can certainly do this.

> omniORB: Assertion failed.  This indicates a bug in the application
> using omniORB, or maybe in omniORB itself.
> file: ../../../../../src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/orbOptions.cc
> line: 153
> info: findHandler(h.key()) == 0

>That means that some static initialisers are not being executed. Do the
>examples in src/examples/echo work when built using the standard make
>files?  Execute make in build/src/examples/echo then try to run eg1.
>Whether that works or not will show whether the problem is with the
>omniORB build or with the way your application code is linked.

I compiled the echo example and was able to run it with no issues.
I said, "Hello!".
The Echo object replied, "Hello!".

Bill