[omniORB] omniORB: Assertion failed

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu May 10 10:51:01 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 15:49 -0400, William Boehm wrote:

> We currently have a system running omniORB-4.0.4 on Solaris (running
> SunOs 5.8) and we want to upgrade to
> omniORB-4.1.4, but we also want to support the older versions of our
> application using omniORB-4.0.4.

Why version 4.1.4?  That is quite old now. Why not the current release,
4.1.6?

> I downloaded the following packages:

> omniORB-4.1.4.tar.gz
>
> omnipython-sun4_sosV_5.7.tar.gz (please note we used this version
> under omniORB-4.0.4 as well)

The minimal omnipython distribution is now very old. Most people use a
full Python installation these days. I don't think it's pertinent to
your problem, but it might save you some trouble to use a full Python.

> We extracted the packages and then ran the make command defining the
> CC and CXX to use cc(Sun C 5.6 Patch 117551-03 2004/11/23)
> and CC(Sun C++ 5.5 2003/03/12) respectively. It appears that
> omniORB-4.1.4 built successfully and the libraries are under the
> build/lib directory. We did not run make install as we didn't want to
> overwrite the original libraries in the /usr/local/lib
> directory, so we changed our make files to point to the new libraries
> under the build directory. We are able to rebuild our binaries
> without an issues.

How exactly did you configure it?  Did you use the configure script or
the old-style platform files?

To avoid having to reach into the build tree for the libraries, it is
better to give a --prefix argument to the configure script to tell it to
install somewhere else.

> omniORB: Assertion failed.  This indicates a bug in the application
> using omniORB, or maybe in omniORB itself.
> file: ../../../../../src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/orbOptions.cc
> line: 153
> info: findHandler(h.key()) == 0

That means that some static initialisers are not being executed. Do the
examples in src/examples/echo work when built using the standard make
files?  Execute make in build/src/examples/echo then try to run eg1.
Whether that works or not will show whether the problem is with the
omniORB build or with the way your application code is linked.