[omniORB] Alternative transports

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Jan 9 14:45:56 GMT 2012

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 08:06 -0500, James Kulp wrote:

> I am about to embark on an unavoidable task to port a custom ORB
> transport to OmniORB.

Can you tell us what for?  What does the transport look like?

> I found the small transport.txt document and have perused the tcp
> transport code and the unix transport code.
>
> The transport.txt document implies that it is also possible to plug in
> at the GIOP level, but I cannot find any examples of this.

You mean plug in something other than GIOP?  Although that it
theoretically possible, I don't believe it has ever been done, and it
probably won't work without some changes to the core code. The original
design of the code was that GIOP_C and GIOP_S are subclasses of IOP_C
and IOP_S, and you can implement other subclasses for other protocols.

If you need to support something other than CDR marshalling, you'll have
to hack things quite a lot. For performance, all the CDR marshalling is
performed by inline functions (from cdrStream.h), so to marshal in any
other way will involve serious surgery.