[omniORB] IDL to Python language mapping update?

Brian Neal bgneal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:51:42 GMT 2011

Hello Luke,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Luke Deller <ldeller at iress.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I am going to need omniORBpy working with Python 3.x at some point in the future, so I am certainly interested in helping to make that happen (indeed I have started some experiments modifying omniORBpy source code to work with Python 3.1).
>
> This will involve at least some minimal adjustments to the Python language mapping relating to strings and bytes.  It would also be nice to utilize types which have been added to Python since the current spec was written, such as bool and decimal.Decimal.  Were you thinking of more serious changes than this to make CORBA feel more Pythonic?
>
> Regards,
> Luke.

I have a short list of things off the top of my head:

* clarify use of unicode and bytes as the existing spec was written
before Python had unicode
* use Python bool
* I had not thought of decimal; you have a good idea there.
* Along those lines, perhaps use named tuples for IDL structs?
* Use of Python property attributes to map IDL properties to

I'm eager to see Duncan's list.

I'd have to review the existing spec to look for more opportunities.

If enough people are interested perhaps we can talk about how to best
collaborate on this project.

Best,
BN