[omniORB] Patch for OpenVMS

Bruce Visscher bruce.visscher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:04:26 BST 2011

Duncan,

Attached, please find a patch that applies to omniORB 4.1.5, a patch
that applies to omniORBpy 3.5.  These files are primarily for the
OpenVMS(*) platform.

The omniORB patch allows the (Open)VMS platform to be configured to
use poll rather than select.  It also provides handling of certain
error condition that sometimes occurs on this platform.

I also made some changes in the way exceptions are thrown from the
omniORB library.  Rather than having a macro that calls a function
that throws and exception, I modified the function to return the
exception and the macro to throw the result.  The reason for doing
this is that the HP C++ compiler on VMS does some flow analysis to
determine that certain branches won't return a value from a function.
Unfortunately, there isn't any way in C++ to express that a function
always throws an exception so this would confuse the compiler.  I hope
this change is acceptable.  If not then I could modify the build
system to suppress the warning.  (On VMS, all compiler warnings are
harmful.)

I browsed the SVN source tree and I don't think there is any overlap
with the latest code in development but I am not certain of that.

I was also going to send an updated etc/openvms.zip file but gmail
brokenly thinks that zip files are executable files so it won't let
me.  I will have to find another way.

Bruce

(*) OpenVMS is a marketing term.