[omniORB] problem - changing giopMaxMsgSize

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 14 18:26:28 BST 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 14:10 +0000, Frederick Grumieaux wrote:

> I can’t change the max message size with the options field in the
> CORBA::ORB_init() function.
>
> There is only one function in my program that would require big
> messages and I want to change the max message size programmatory when
> I would call this function and keep it on the default size otherwise.
> I found out that the parameter which handles this stuff is named
> “giopMaxMsgSize” and that it can be read by calling
> “omniORB::giopMaxMsgSize()”. This is however a read parameter and I
> couldn’t find where to set it, until I stumbled upon this site
> https://idlebox.net/2007/apidocs/omniORB-4.1.0.zip/omniORB/omniORB004.html and discovered that I already implemented 3 other parameters just like it, which seem to work. (verifyObjectExistsAndType, strictIIOP and oneCallPerConnection ).

That page is from an out of date copy of the omniORB documentation. The
correct location is

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni41/omniORB/omniORB004.html

> Unfortunately tough it didn’t work.

It didn't work because the ORB is a singleton and ORB_init() does
nothing at all if you call it a second time. It doesn't reprocess any of
the configuration parameters.

There's no "public" way to programatically set giopMaxMsgSize after
ORB_init time, but it's just stored in a static variable that you can
access:

#include <omniORB4/internal/orbParameters.h>
omni::orbParameters::giopMaxMsgSize = 20971520;

Presumably you're able to be careful that no other threads are accessing
it at the time you change it...