[omniORB] Patch for OpenVMS

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 1 14:59:29 BST 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 09:13 -0400, Bruce Visscher wrote:

[...]
> As yet another alternative, the direction I have recently taken in
> building application code is to use a non-recursive makefile system
> (google "recursive make considered harmful").  I find this much more
> robust and easier to maintain.  Would this be worth pursuing for
> omniORB?  Unfortunately, I suppose it doesn't play well with
> autoconfig tools - at least not at the moment.

omniORB's make system is over complex and full of historical baggage.
I'd be happy to replace it all with something simpler, but it's hard to
do that given all the weird and wonderful platforms that must be
supported. It's just not something that I've had time for, and it's not
really a priority for most platforms because the current system works
ok.

I don't think there's any inherent reason why autoconf can't be used
with a flat makefile.