[omniORB] unclear licenses in tarballs

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Wed Feb 16 20:54:08 GMT 2011

Hi Duncan

Currently we have to re-package the omniORB tarball in Debian because
of the strict dfsg guidelines concerning free software.  It would be
nice if we didn't have to modify your release tarball at all so was
wondering if you could consider addressing these upstream.  There are
two things we need to remove:

* etc/*.zip - these don't have explicit licenses associated with them,
it is not clear if they are redistributable
* bin/x86_win32/* - we're not allowed to have binaries in source packages

Do you know of the licenses for the zipfiles?  If so can you add them?
 And if not would it hurt to stop shipping them?  They're not
essential to use or build omniorb so you might be fine leaving a
readme in place and referring to the website where they could be made
available as a separate download?

The windows binaries are probably a bit trickier.  Do you really need
to ship some binaries in order to bootstrap the windows build system?
If not you might be fine removing them as you also provide binary
packages for windows on the download page?

Anyway, none of these are essential as we can keep re-packing the
source tarball but it would be nice if we didn't have too.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom