[omniORB] Issues with persistent objects

Martin B. 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Mon Feb 7 10:26:16 GMT 2011

On 04.02.2011 19:12, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:53 +0530, anirudh nair wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Now, when the client calls a method after a server restart,
>> a COMM_FAILURE exception
>> is raised. The interesting thing here is that when the client catches
>> the exception and issues
>> another call to server, the server method is executed.
>>
>> So, basically only the first call after the server restart raises an
>> exception. All calls henceforth
>> works fine.
>
> That is intentional. What happens is that the client does not notice
> that the connection has broken until after it has sent its request. You
> snipped the bit of the omniORB log that shows the exception details but
> you'll see that it has a completion status of COMPLETION_MAYBE. i.e. the
> (...)

Hi Duncan,

As you can see in the else thread, I have been trying to follow this
problem, but there's one thing I do not understand:

WHY does the client not notice that the connection is broken?

 From what I understand, shouldn't the server properly close it's TCP
connection to the client when it's shutting down. Shouldn't the client
notice this disconnect?

Explanation (or link to some docs) highly appreciated!

cheers,
Martin