[omniORB] CORBA costs in implimentation and OmniOrb

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Sat Dec 31 13:22:52 GMT 2011

Hi,

CORBA is an open standard published by the OMG (see www.omg.org). For
this standard there are multiple implementations available, some open
source, some commercial. It is a project decision which implementation
you select. OmniORB is open source, just like TAO, JacORB, R2CORBA, and
various others (see http://www.orbzone.org for a list of ORBs). Than
there are also commercial implementations, but their market share is
decreasing rapidly. These commercial implementations can be expensive, I
have seen prices of more than 3,000 euro per runtime CPU license.

The open source ORBs can be used freely, but there are various companies
that deliver commercial services as addition. Through these services the
maturity of the open source ORBs can be increased.

Best regards,

Johnny Willemsen
Remedy IT
http://www.theaceorb.nl