[omniORB] Ways of passing IOR Reference. NamingService ?

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Wed Dec 28 12:39:52 GMT 2011

Rajesh Khan wrote:
> Thanks Thomas for the great suggestion. Before diving into
> implementation of java. I just tested my C++ Server and C++ Client
> using the naming service on two different computers this time and
> unfortunately they do not work.
> Earlier I was testing the Server and the client on the same pc and
> they were working. My earlier procedure was quiet simple , I would
> simply start the naming service using *omniNames -start* and then run
> the server and the client .The client would find the data registered
> by the server on the naming service with no problem.Is there some
> other configuration details that we have to deal with when the server
> and client are on different computers on a network?? I think the
> client needs to know the ip address of the server. Where would i
> insert that.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There are no extra details to worry about with "properly configured
computers". But the usual trouble is with DNS discrepancies. You will
find many threads here on tracking those down, but in my experience if
you look at the IOR published by the server, make sure that the client
understands the host name published in the IOR.

I usually use an IOR decoding tool to look at a "stringified IOR" from
the server. So have the server print that IOR when it starts up or look
at the IOR as published in the naming service.

hth

                                           - Tom