[omniORB] Unable to create an endpoint of this description

bjorn rohde jensen bjensen at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 11 23:38:56 BST 2011

> Hi,
>
> I am using omniorb4 on a linux platform and am trying to have my orb listen
> for connection from hostname c1apicas1 to port 8101.
>
> This is my code.
>
> int32 orb_params_count = 0;
>
> char **orb_params = 0;
>
> const char* options[][2] = { { "endPoint", "giop:tcp:c1apicas1:8101" } };
>
> m_orb = CORBA::ORB_init(orb_params_count, orb_params, "omniORB4", options);
> I get the following error message.
> omniORB: Error: Unable to create an endpoint of this description:
> giop:tcp:c1apicas1:8101
>
> When I do not provide the endPoint or any options, and the hostname is my
> hostname, the connection is established correctly.
>
> What can the problem be?
>
> Thanks,
> Pearl Rothman

Hi Pearl,

The endPoint option is for specifying the local interface and port on
which a CORBA application is to listen for incoming requests. An
endPoint is only half a connection.

If you are trying to limit client access to your server, then you should
define server transport rules as described in the omniORB manual.

What are you trying to do?

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn R. Jensen